GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Search   Today's Posts   Mark Forums Read  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Drivetrain

Trans shudder?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

Rickt

Hi. I have 2002 Silverado 1500. 4.3 V6 4L60E trans. 131,000 miles.

When the trans shifts into 4th at 40mph, it feels and sounds like it is lugging. The truck is sluggish and I have to press the gas pedal down a lot more than normal to get it to accelerate and it shifts into like a passing gear.
Engine doesn't seem to have a misfire. Have tuned it up and actually had to replace a bad distributor. No codes are showing.
trans seems to shift ok except after reaching operating temp the 1-2 shift is very hard.
Along with the lugging , there is a vibration as well starts around 25 and stays but lessens after 55mph.

Scratching my head LOL. Any ides?

Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

montec
Admin Team

Has the trans ever had any work to it, upgrades to shift servos?

The vibration could be ujoints, does it growl when you hit bumps?

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

Rickt

Thx for replying. The elec solenoids kit have been replaced in an effort to correct the symptoms. No Change.
The doesn't seem to be any growl at all. I have had the drive shaft checked by 2 shops. all is tight.
Also had the tires Force Balanced, front end aligned and checked for any looseness, rear end changed fluid

Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 AM   #4

montec
Admin Team

For the trans, its the servos, not the solenoids. More then likely the 1-2 and the 3-4 were upgraded to corvette style or billet. Usually one of the easier upgrades to prolong a trans.

I had a lugging issue on an s10 but that was due to a shift kit setup for a car instead of a pickup, the one thing that i didnt do right on my first build. To rectify that would mean to get another shift kit and set it up from scratch which will be time consuming.