GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Sound and Security

S-Series: Sub Help

Old 05-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

Deja_Vu969

So I think I have settled on 2 10" TBs for my Standard cab '98 S10.
Parts-Express.com:Tang Band WT-1427B 10" Neo Subwoofer | subwoofer 10" subwoofer low profile thin mount neodynium subwoofer tangband tb speakers
Only problem is that I don't know and can't find the box volume for these. I have read the specs PDF about them...but I am completely lost with vocabulary/terms...I just need to be sure I can fit 2 behind my seat without loosing any clicks.
As for an Amp...I have no idea yet. They are rated at 125 RMS and I want to push them to there fullest...I'm looking to power them off of a mono amp, so would I look for an amp that puts out roughly 125 RMS @ 2 Ohm?

Thanks guys...
Eric

Cliffs...
Specs for the Sub Requested (Tang Band WT-1427B)
Amp Suggestions

Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

eriley

I would say they would sound good in .25-.3 cu ft. per sub. It's not on the spec sheet but I used the info there and a qtc calculator to get that. 0.2609 cu ft. per sub has a qtc of .707 which a lot of people say is ideal.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #3

rmoore911

they're less than 3.5" deep, so a small angled box could easily fit 2 of those in there without having to sacrifice any room. . .as for an amp, since they're 4 ohm SVC, you probably want something closer to pushing 250w @ 2 ohms. . .the sky (and your pocketbook) are the limit on amps that will do that. . .

you could get something as simple as this JBL, which would probably give each sub a little over 120 wrms. . .

you could even find a quality 2 channel that puts out around 120 per channel. . .that's what i did. . .it may not be the most efficient, but i do like the sound i get out of my subs with my amp. . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #4

eriley

oops, jk.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #5

Deja_Vu969

Alright, thanks guys...I will start looking into that. I might have to wait a bit...financially

Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #6

Deja_Vu969

So I may have narrowed it down to two choices...

The first one is an MB Quart, putting out 300 rms @ 2 ohms...each sub would be getting about 150 watts. The price is amazing...but I don't want the price to reflect how it will sound if possible.
MB Quart RAB 1450 (rab1450) Mono Subwoofer Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

My second choice is an Orion Cobalt, putting out 250 RMS X 1 @ 2 Ohms...so it would match the wattage on the subs almost perfectly. For about 40 more dollars would it show much difference?
Orion Cobalt CO500.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier 250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

The subs that I am looking at are rated at 120 rms...So the Cobalt would match that pretty close...I like the Quart but I don't want to overpower them for too long...would that 30 extra watts (per sub) really make that much of a difference in the long run?

Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

eriley

Personally I would go with Orion because I know its a good brand. but the quart im sure will work just as well. And gains do wonders for not overpowering your subs . those 30 watts shouldn't hurt them though.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #8

Deja_Vu969

Alright thanks...As I said I have a while before ordering anything...so I'm still floating between the two...but thanks for all the help though

Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #9

rmoore911

i'm not all that certain about either of those 2 amps, but thats because both companies were bought by larger companies in the past couple years, and i've heard quality has gone down for both of them. . .i personally don't have any experience with either of those 2 amps or any of the products from either company over the past year of so. . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #10

Deja_Vu969

Alright I will keep that in mind...I still havent brought myself to spend any money yet...I keep putting it off for other things.

But thanks though, I will consider that and see what else I can find

Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #11

Xonair

What I did to fit two 10" single sealed sub boxsin my 00 standard cab was; cut the rear carpet to allow the boxes to slide back that extra inch. I had my amp mounted in my bed just on the floor. You could make a mount for the amp to mount on the wall between the speakers inside the cab. the reason I opted to the bed was to keep the amp cooler as it had more then enough air circulation. The amp never over heated, and still works to this day in a friends car.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #12

Deja_Vu969

That's what I am most likely going to be doing. The bed is out of the picture though...I have a soft tonneau and I use the bed itself quite often. I have a box back there...but that's where my jack and other necessities are kept.

The carpet is already out...and the plastic piece right below the window is long gone, haha. I originally took them out to fit 2 10" Visoniks ("ghetto-rigged" beyond belief) with the amp mounted between. It worked good, except I lost 2 or 3 clicks on my seat...I really don't want to be doing that again, I like my space. Hence the reason that I am looking into shallows (or anything below 4" mounting depth, preferably)

...No saying when I am actually going to be buying these subs though...I keep putting it off further and further...haha. Priorities first right now.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #13

Xonair

The boxes I had was as long as the lip so it sat flush. It was pretty loud I might add and I didnt lose no clicks.