GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Forced Induction

think blown is best

Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

Darkhowl

see this area hasnt been posted on in some time soo will add my thoughts -- if it dont go BLOW it lol - have through the years messed with most everything and all and all I perfer a blower best - centrifical type like a paxton also made under outher names are easy to mount are small size and verry few mods needed - havent stuck one on a 4.3 but seems like a perfect match especally a tbi type - cubes are rite ( under 300ci ) I know 289 etc loved them - pipe it into the air intake add a belt think ya could almost replace your ac compressor with it in same spot ( if you must have ac then mount ac compressor where smog pump used to be - true you would only build around 5lb boost on adverage but I have used this setup on several engines in the past and it makes a outherwise stock grocery getter into a saterday nite hider with no mods needed- something to consider

Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

The Master
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have played with Turbos and With SCers and I prefer SCers myself. Gotta go clean the Cobra now that I am thinking about it.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #3

Silver04Bullet

I know this is like a 2 month old topic, but I'm deciding on wether to supercharge my 5.3l or turbocharge it. What I've been told is that a supercharger is less work and less maintenance than a turbo. Plus I would have constant boost as well. I checked into the STS turbos, and with intercooler they only give a 150hp extra, and I heard somewhere a supercharger gives well into the 200hp gain. For more information, I was looking into buying the 2.3l Whipple Supercharger. Any suggestions?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

The Master
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What are your intentions for the truck?

I am actually looking at a compound boost set up on my next toy. Running a roots style and a turbo.

Getting me the lowend torque and for when the turbo is spooling. Yes there are ways around this that are less costly and not as fun, but as usual I am crazy.

I have run a whipple 2.3 and 3.4 on oth of my 4.6mod and 5.4 mod motors. I have since turned to KB and run the mammoths on both. Love them much more. Of course these are on the Cobras.

I am also running a larger turbo on my 6L Excursion and the lowend is there, but of course it is a diesel.

With anything you can always get UPTO a certain number, but you have to look at a few things with such claims.

1. do you want a 550 - 600 rwhp truck as a daily?
2. are you ready to spend more on things such as tuning, larger injectors, larger fuel pumps, boost a sparks, boost a pumps, etc? (yes you can get away with none except tune and keep a reasonable street truck)
3. ready for the added wear and tear on the engine and trans?

How deep are your pockets? I started with wanting 650 at the wheels and got it. Was the car streetable? sure was and it was fun, but I race scca and have years of track time, so I have an idea of what to expect and how to react to what the added HP brings to the table in regards to handling etc. I had to upgrade quiet a bit to make sure my expectations were able to be handled by the motor, the fuel system, the trans and the rear. In all honesty I think I have around 12k into the mods on one of the Cobras.

So think through what you want and expect to gain and let me know. I can try to answer questions as you dish them out. If I do not answer right away it is not because I am ignoring you...I do have a life outside of this place. heh.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...
Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #5

Silver04Bullet

After reading that post I'm actually considering not to supercharge it until I finish High school. It is going to be a racing truck, but the truck already has 146k miles on it, so I'm going to wait until I get a steady paying job, but a 6.0l engine in it, then hopefully supercharge it. But until then with all the extra stuff I have to invest in, its better to just have a mildly tuned daily driver. Thanks for the reply!