GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Forced Induction

VT50 Turbo?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

RadiantCustoms

Trying to get some info on larger turbochargers that are available out there for a pet project.

First, what did a VT50 come off of? Cummins? Also, how big is that turbo in comparison to passenger truck diesel turbos? Also, are there bigger turbos out there that dont weigh 400 pounds? Thanks for the info!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #2

Diesel
Diesel Addicted TL

The VT50 would be commonly found on BIG CAM Cummins, It is substantially larger then what would be found in a light duty diesel. The biggest reason Turbos weigh so much on heavy truck engines (not anywhere near 400# btw) is the cast housing's which are designed to take hundreds of thousands of miles of abuse. If you could give us some insight in to the project we might be able help you find something suitable.

Also I moved this to the Forced Induction section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Diesel; 02-18-2008 at 04:40 AM..
Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #3

RadiantCustoms

thanks for movin it, no problem! And I was kidding about the actual 400 pounds deal...I basically just needed the biggest, lightest, turbo possible.

The application is for propulsion, but I am looking at hiring Dans help to make a gas turbine from one. So basically the bigger the turbo, the more thrust, and things I can break, including myself.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #4

Diesel
Diesel Addicted TL

Hmm neat project, you may want to consider contacting these guys for insight. NT/5 Turbo Jet Engine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #5

RadiantCustoms

yah I have seen their website. I guess I was really looking for a turbo expert, and Diesel, you were the first name to be mentioned :-)

Old 02-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #6

Diesel
Diesel Addicted TL

Well I cant claim to be a expert but I do appreciate the compliment, I am familiar with turbos used in heavy truck engines although I have no practical advice for one being used as a turbine. I did do some looking around though and it seems that you are on to something with the VT50 as it appears that it is the preferred turbo for these setups. I assume this is for a variety of reasons with ease of availability being one of the top of the list. I will keep searching and brain storming to see if I can come up with anything that would be better suited or cooler.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #7

RadiantCustoms

thanks, I would appreciate that. I would love to find one with a 3.5-4 inch inducer that weighs under 80 lbs, but I dont think that is possible. The VT50 has a 2.9 inch if I remember correctly. Can you tell me what I should look for in a large used turbo such as this? Are they rebuildable at any value? Or should I look for a new rebuilt one?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #8

lincolnmetal
8 lug thug

hey brandon, 310SS is good for constant use at 2100f. i can machine a piece into an injector by making one piece rectangular and another trapezoidal, then boring a certain sized hose in each to line up. it can be single port or multi port. then weld the 2 pieces together. i can also machine them round or start with round stock.

2004.5 CCSB 4wd LLY Duramax Diesel 17,500 lb recon winch, aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator plugged internally, spectre filter, airbox mod, Edge CTS w/lockpick reverse cam, PPE SS Tie Rod Sleeves, 17x9 procomp 7031's w/33.5x12x17 super swamper m16's

mig...tig...stick...any questions
lincolnmetal's welding learning center

Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #9

Diesel
Diesel Addicted TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantCustoms View Post
thanks, I would appreciate that. I would love to find one with a 3.5-4 inch inducer that weighs under 80 lbs, but I dont think that is possible. The VT50 has a 2.9 inch if I remember correctly. Can you tell me what I should look for in a large used turbo such as this? Are they rebuildable at any value? Or should I look for a new rebuilt one?
I have done some more digging and I think I have came up with a alternative, The Garret TV91 should have a larger inducer then the VT50 (I could not find a exact size) and weighs right at 75 lbs. If looking at used turbos (such as in a heavy truck scrap yard etc) the biggest thing to look out for is excessive play between the shaft and the bearings it rides on and the thrust bearings which prevent lateral movement. This can easily be tested by reaching in to the turbo and wiggling the impeller up and down and back and forth. If the play seems excessive it probably is. If it feels acceptable then a simple rebuild kit should be available for under 200 dollars. A reman is a viable option and should remove most of your doubt but It will be considerably more costly.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #10

RadiantCustoms

dang, Im lookin everywhere and not getting much on the tv91. however like you say, the vt50 seems to be a hit everywhere. how would you rate the vt50 in size comparison to the rest of the commercial truck turbos you have seen?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #11

Diesel
Diesel Addicted TL

I would say its pretty run of the mill, The turbos on the newer engines (Cummins ISX, CAT C15 pre ACERT,60 series DD) are a little larger primarily for emissions reasons. That goes with out saying that these weigh more.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #12

RadiantCustoms

I made a call to Scheid Diesel here in Lafayette today and left a message on the phone with parts. No returned call. arghhh..but anyways they are into tractor and truck pulling, Im gonna see if they have a turbo sittin around...

Old 12-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #13

jameslattimer68

In my opinion vt50 is very nice.