GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Specific Model Forums > HD Trucks Fullsize Trucks & SUVs

Electric fan install ?????

Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

dans2008HD

Can an electric fan be installed in an 2008 2500Hd 6.0L Silverado?
any help appreciated.
Dan

Last edited by Jake; 02-27-2012 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Overpost
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

Jake
Yo Mammy

Only one thread was needed, so I merged your posts.

And I'm sure an E-fan can be installed. My 2006 cam stock with an E-Fan. Your best bet is to first measured the radiator you have, and go to a local junkyard, and see what options will fit to cover your radiator, then buy a universal wiring kit to install.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #3

lincolnmetal
8 lug thug

you can, but you need to make sure that it is going to move the proper amount of air across the radiator/condenser. you also may need to make a shroud for it to improve the airflow. usautoparts.com has the efans from the 2005 yukon which fits the diesels and should fit the gassers too...be wary, they pull almost 50 amps, so you will need a relay that will work with that much current. note: the grid heater relays from cummins trucks will work. the other thing you will need to run this is a MUCH bigger alternator, like over 200 amps, even bigger if you have a system and other add-ons. your factory alternator has about 60-75% of its output spoken for by the stock electrical do dads and wiz bangs...some do suggest dual alternators actually.

now for the other info

Is it worth the time money and effort to do this...probably not, its a big truck, a few extra horsepower isnt gonna mean jack.

the efans will flow less air than the stock fan, will it effect you, maybe...hot weather, towing, city driving all have their downfalls to heat soak and not being able to move enough air.

from another site:
The electric fans do not move as much air as the stock engine driven fan.

The electric fans do not take as much HP to run as the stock fan.

In most cases electric fans will be sufficient to cool the engine.

Electric fans will be able to maintain a more constant engine temp.

Electric fans will be insufficient while under heavy loads at less than 65mph (amount of load and ambient temp to be considered heavy will vary by vehicle and setup).

Electric fans will aid in A/C operation while moving less than 10mph.

At above 65mph either fan setup will theoretically do little to add additional cooling. The factory alternator may be able to handle the additional load, but it will be running closer to rated load capacity than desired. A larger alternator or a second one would be advised. The electric fans will gain mileage, but the amount will depend on driving style and average load.

The cost and time for switching would make it not worth the while for most, but it would have benefits. It would be a bad idea for those that tow large loads in warm climates or steep grades.

2004.5 CCSB 4wd LLY Duramax Diesel 17,500 lb recon winch, aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator plugged internally, spectre filter, airbox mod, Edge CTS w/lockpick reverse cam, PPE SS Tie Rod Sleeves, 17x9 procomp 7031's w/33.5x12x17 super swamper m16's

mig...tig...stick...any questions
lincolnmetal's welding learning center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

S15vortecpwr
goin broke but N style

good post lincoln.

THAT is exactly why the factory does not run e-fans on 3/4 ton and bigger. they just dont perform well if the truck is being used for hauling, and most are.

IMO if you are doing this for MPG, its not gonna help.

now if you have a 1/2 ton, i say go for it.

01 WS6 LS1 Trans AM, DiabloSport Tune, full exhaust, Free mods

01 GMC Noma 2.2L Zq8 X-cab, spt sd, W/new trans and rear end - SOLD

99 S10 Blazer 4.3 auto, 4dr. new DD
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

dans2008HD

Thanks all for answering my question.
I haul a 30 ft fifth wheel and was looking for a way of cooling it better.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #6

lincolnmetal
8 lug thug

You can always leave the stock fan on and put a smaller fan to push from the front...now u know why most guys towing heavy 5ers go diesel, gas just doesn't cut it for straight up hauling

2004.5 CCSB 4wd LLY Duramax Diesel 17,500 lb recon winch, aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator plugged internally, spectre filter, airbox mod, Edge CTS w/lockpick reverse cam, PPE SS Tie Rod Sleeves, 17x9 procomp 7031's w/33.5x12x17 super swamper m16's

mig...tig...stick...any questions
lincolnmetal's welding learning center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

S15vortecpwr
goin broke but N style

You can install an elec fan b/t the fan and radiator. I kno my dads 02 2500hd 6.0l has several inches b/t the rad and fan.

or like stated, add one in frt.

01 WS6 LS1 Trans AM, DiabloSport Tune, full exhaust, Free mods

01 GMC Noma 2.2L Zq8 X-cab, spt sd, W/new trans and rear end - SOLD

99 S10 Blazer 4.3 auto, 4dr. new DD
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

dans2008HD

Couldn't find a used 2008 diesel here in Western NY under 40,000. Otherwise I'd be driving one.