GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Suspension Tech > Static Drop

Drop Shocks

Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

xxannihilationx

Since this forum is relatively new I'll go ahead and make a thread for future reference for people. i just got my dads truck lowered a full 3/6. sounds like the shocks are bottoming out and i figured that i need to replace them since it was getting lowered so much. i was hoping someone could help me out with a good cheap pair of shocks. i heard against using nitro drop shocks because they blow out fast. If someone has a part number that would be great!!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #2

xxannihilationx

i just read the lowering kits sticky and got this:
Also here are the part numbers for the Doetsch Tech shocks to be used with the 4/6:
4080G for the front.
Use 4173G for left side & 4241G for the right side for the back.

why do you have to use different shocks for the right and left on the back?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #3

drivewaycustoms

they are different lengths do to the mounting points.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #4

xxannihilationx

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivewaycustoms View Post
they are different lengths do to the mounting points.
so can i use those part numbers for a gmc sierra with a 3/6 drop?

Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #5

98SS
Suspension Advisor

For the front, maybe. Sounds like you aren't dropped as low, so I would think that the only problem you might run into is the shock isn't long enough to let your suspension drop as far as before, but it should still drop plenty.

In the rear, it sounds like you're fine if your rear drop is the same (six inches).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

actafool4187
Senior Whore

I'm kind of in the same boat. My truck has 21k miles on it with the factory shocks, but it's lowered, and the tires on my ZQ8's are too big so they scrape on the fender wells when I hit bumps. This is not good! I think if I get drop shocks, it should stiffen it up enough to where I can hit bumps without slowing down or practically stopping to not scrape. My fenders are digging into the tires! I want to get rims for summer, but not until this is resolved.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #7

Ti28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by actafool4187 View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat. My truck has 21k miles on it with the factory shocks, but it's lowered, and the tires on my ZQ8's are too big so they scrape on the fender wells when I hit bumps. This is not good! I think if I get drop shocks, it should stiffen it up enough to where I can hit bumps without slowing down or practically stopping to not scrape. My fenders are digging into the tires! I want to get rims for summer, but not until this is resolved.
Are you talking about your drivers side? If so there is a bolt in that fender well that is digging into your tire, not the inner fender! Take that bolt out.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #8

98SS
Suspension Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti28 View Post
Are you talking about your drivers side? If so there is a bolt in that fender well that is digging into your tire, not the inner fender! Take that bolt out.
Wouldn't hurt to do the passenger side also. But yeah, sounds like the bolt directly over the tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #9

actafool4187
Senior Whore

'02 Sonoma X-Cab - Munster, Indiana Is that what it looks like still? I'll look and see if I notice a bolt that is sticking out there tomorrow.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #10

98SS
Suspension Advisor

I'm not seeing what you mean in those pics at the bottom of page 1. Is it scraping the top of the tread or the sidewall of the tire?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #11

actafool4187
Senior Whore

I'll check it out when I get a chance, but I'm pretty sure it's both sides. It may just be the one, but I don't know for sure.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #12

xxannihilationx

ok to update this, i got everything dropped and done

before:

after

anyways, zach on here has a silverado sitting about the same height and told me he has the factory shocks still on his. so since the z85 shocks were bottomoing out, i went and bought some stock silverado shocks. they dont botom out now, but the ride is stiff as hell. i couldnt ever find a place to order the doetsch shocks so anybody no a place to buy some good pair of soft riding shocks....at a reasonable price?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #13

actafool4187
Senior Whore

Both. It's scraping the sidewall and the top of the tread. It turns out I had a busted shock on the driver's side. I got both replaced, but they put on some all blue cheap as hell ones from auto zone, and they suck. Would it be a great improvement to just get drop shocks, or should I just get a little better quality pair? I also think it's more than just the shocks though. It still makes some weird noises. It doesn't scrape the top tread anymore, unless I'm going way too fast over a bump, but still scrapes on the sidewalls if I turn to far or hit a bump while turning.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #14

Ti28
Banned

Sounds like you need to roll the fender lip.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #15

98SS
Suspension Advisor

(link) -> Eastwood Fender Roller Tool <-

Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #16

Ti28
Banned

Wow, I didn't know there was a tool. Shit I've always done it by hand!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 AM   #17

Jeff

Great point there Tim. i was looking for that picture. also take out the bolt that might help you. are you running coils and drop spindles?

Now a dealer for HornBlasters.com....if you need anything, hit me up!!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #18

actafool4187
Senior Whore

Well, I'm back up to stock ZQ8 height now. Doc (from S10 Forum) fixed it for me. It was all screwed up. Turns out the truck used to be bagged! The front had drop spindles and the back had drop leafs. Also in front, there was no sway bar, the shocks have been relocated from the stock position to now running from the lca's to the frame. He swapped out the drop spindles with stock's, the drop leafs with stocks, and added a sway bar. After finishing, backing out of the driveway, when we cut the wheel all the way, it punctured a whole in one of the shocks! We had to replace that, so I SHOULD have a full turning radius now, but don't. At least it's not scraping and bottoming out, and I can take it on the highway now, so I'm perfectly content. Mucho Gracias Doc!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #19

98SS
Suspension Advisor

Good to hear it's working out for ya.