GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > General Lounge > Member Projects and Rides

Project: AK49BWL's ECSB 350 Stick

Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

AK49BWL
I like cats. Deal with it

I'm just going to put this here... This is my new truck, a replacement for my 1999 Chevy Blazer, and a truck that I've been after for a really long time. These are pictures posted by the seller on Craigslist.

General Info:

1997 GMC Sierra SL K1500 Extended Cab Short Bed, 350ci 5.7l V8 with a 5-speed manual transmission, 4x4 on the floor with Posi-Lok, G80 rearend, 3.73s and 265/75R16 Goodyear Wranglers
Cruise, tilt wheel, 60/40 front bench, sliding rear window, manual locks windows and mirrors, AM/FM/Tape w/o Aux, Raven camper shell, trailer brake module by Tekonsha, and helper air bag suspension... Don't think there's much more to mention at this point.

I drove my Blazer 1800 miles from Longview TX to Reno NV to get this truck, that's how bad I wanted it. I was made certain, this truck is in damn near perfect shape... And I was not deceived. Sure, there are a few scratches... He was not opposed to taking a ride out into the woods to go hunting. But the undercarriage looked fantastic... I could not find much rust at all. The body is straight, the engine runs smooth, the transmission is nice and tight, the steering is tight, the posi-lok is AWESOME, and it's not leaking anything from anywhere. Now, the door latch was a bit stiff, the driver seat didn't slide, and the tailgate would take a beating before it'd open properly... But I've since fixed those latter things, lol. But hey, let's go in order here...

March 3, 2015 - This is the day I drove it "home" aka my brother's house in Reno. But not before running off to take this picture.

Next post, I'll run down what I've done to it so far as mods go, and potential future plans.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #2

AK49BWL

Oh I almost forgot, the seat handle was broken off on the driver side, and the cruise control didn't work due to a stripped gear. The day I got it, I decided I was not going to deal with the manual doors for long. Reno Auto Salvage and Sparks Pick-n-Pull got to know me really well over the course of that week I got two complete doors with power internals, new power mirrors, the interior panels and switch panels, along with the seat handle, cruise control box on the firewall, a replacement stereo head unit, a new headlight switch, and the complete wiring harness to go between the two doors, which also came with stock keyless entry.

Once I got the pickup back to my Blazer, the swap-out began... The stereo head unit from my Blazer, a stock CD/AM/FM with external Tape and an iPod controller all lit in blue LED, got pulled out, the bottom mounting system retrofitted, and stuck in the pickup;

the Alpine Type R 6.5" speakers in the Blazer front doors were pulled and swapped with the stock speakers from the pickup;

the cluster's blue LED backlighting went from Blazer to pickup, along with most of the other 194 and 74-base LEDs.

For a reason I would only later discover, the brake light LEDs in my Blazer damn near exploded when I tried to put them in the pickup housings... So they were left behind. The front blinkers, being 3157-base, won't work in this truck because the front blinkers of GMT400s are 1157 BUT - I had a spare set of those at the house in Longview I could throw in. The 194 front marker LEDs however, were pulled. As a last note, I pulled the subwoofers and amp out of the Blazer, mostly because my brother didn't want them. Speaking of, the Blazer was determined to be left behind, and my brother has bought it from me to keep it.

Then, the doors started getting torn into. I made a mess.

The wiring was easily the most difficult part of it all.. Figuring out what was needed, what the truck already has, and what I could just get rid of entirely... A friend of mine with full access to wiring diagrams really helped out at this point. I was able to pretty much just drop the new door to door harness in with a bit of pre-existing connector re-pinning, and only three wire splices, two being at the keyless entry module and the third for the dome lights in the power doors, which manual doors don't have.

The day the power doors were verified fully operational, I started my 1800 mile drive home to Texas, leaving the two donor doors behind at Reno Salvage. The truck performed most fantastically, hanging out at 17-18 MPG on the way.

Since getting back to Texas, I've replaced EVERYTHING possible with LEDs, in a more useful bright white for the domes, most notably.

The taillights, rather than having the circuit boards on the back, are now using bulb sockets from a Blazer, slightly modified, held in place by fabricated aluminum since they don't secure to the housing like they do on the Blazer...

Also notable is the way they illuminate since I modified the wiring slightly; normally, the top bulbs would be park lamps only, the bottom acting as turn signals and brakes. Now, the top bulbs are signals and brakes, while the bottom bulbs are brakes only. All, in LED of course

Switching out the front bulbs for the 1157 LEDs...

I ripped out the clutch fan in favor of dual electric fans out of a 2001 Ford Windstar, wired with three relays in the format of an LS1 configuration - two fan operation in series for speed 1, two fan op in parallel for speed 2.

Removed the restrictor plate on the throttle body blade.. Yeah I coulda made it look nicer by completely removing it, but you know what... Ain't no one ever gonna see it anyway. And it works.

And most recently, replaced the PCM with an LS1 12200411. Wired the fans to it, now I'm just waiting for a few switches to come in before I install them in the electric 4x4 delete panel in the dash for overrides. So far, I really can't complain at all.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #3

AK49BWL

I don't think I'm quite done with the PCM yet. Its wiring needs help in a bad way I need to redirect several of the pins so they're not all twisted around each other -- And right now I'm waiting on a response from the guy who provided the pin-outs for the swap, as I currently do not have the shift light hooked up to the PCM on account of most of these trucks being automatics , and shift lights not being accounted for.

Future plans, as I can think of them right now...

--AD244 alternator, big 3 in 0 Gauge, MAYBE second battery?

--Quad-beam headlight mod

--Plan to replace the camper shell clamps with bolts, and I need to re-seal the bedrails anyway...

-- Dome lights for the camper shell

-- If anyone can give me some options on a small yet decent subwoofer/box I can put in this truck, that doesn't take up a lot of space (preferably just fits under the back seat, I may consider removing the jack box), but will still hit moderately? Would appreciate. Not looking to blow out windows by any means, but still want to feel it.

-- I have no suspension mod plans and it'll probably stay that way, unless I decide to go with K2500 leaf springs that is. I'm rather happy with the exterior look of this truck.

-- May go ahead and replace the headlights and blinker housings at some point, as of course, they're oxidized.

-- I have an electric dimming and temp/compass mirror on the windshield now, just need to run the wires to power it up.

-- Also, opinion request - Should I go ahead and remove the top of the fan shroud back to the square section or leave it as is? It's not in the way, it's more of a cosmetics thing I guess.

-- Roof center console? Maybe?

-- Rear disc brakes????

Old 04-07-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
Send PM    Add to friends

montec
Admin Team

So many ideas. Now how about some how too vids. Just watched the one on the pcm today.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:07 AM   #5

AK49BWL

Don't have any how-to vids. Most anything I'd post wouldn't matter anyway, these trucks are too old for most people to care lol.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:02 AM   #6

MoStyles
HDPT

I like how the doors of those trucks go together. There's a few problem areas on heavily used trucks like the inner door handles breaking and the window track mounting tabs rusting out. Everything is real easy to get and replace though.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #7

Onimun
Senior Whore

Where are you planning on putting the stripper pole?

How can anyone compete with oni and the chick pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #8

Dr Pepper
Senior Whore

What is the vlog camera set up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

AK49BWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoStyles View Post
I like how the doors of those trucks go together. There's a few problem areas on heavily used trucks like the inner door handles breaking and the window track mounting tabs rusting out. Everything is real easy to get and replace though.
Funny you should say that about the handles breaking.... Mine did a couple weeks back. Finding one at the junkyard? HA, HA, HA.... 23 GMT400 trucks and suvs, not ONE with an intact driver front door handle. Finally found ONE in the back door of a 98 suburban apparently the front and rear handles are identical on GMT400 trucks cuz it worked. Now thankfully (knock on wood) my window tracks and tabs are not rusty at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
What is the vlog camera set up?
Whichever of my stockpile happens to be closest at the time lol.. Most often my Canon SX230 and the phone (Samsung S5Active), but every now and then the gopro 3+ gets a run.

So I've got a new plan for this thing, and I'm having problems. Namely, I want to do an interior swap from the 95+ to the 88-94 style. I always liked the older interiors better but the problem is, FINDING the 22+ year old interior parts in even remotely acceptable or intact condition is proving almost impossible unless of course I want to shell out a ton of money, which I really don't. So.... Not sure where this is gonna go lol. I do know, however, that I'm swapping my HVAC controller to the old digital system the early interior models had. That is actually almost ready to go already, I just need to go get another door motor because the early interior used a different method of controlling the vent doors (potentiometer feedback vs PWM), tho the motors themselves look identical and even use the same connectors.

Also other things have been done but I'll need to jump on the computer for any pictures or whatnot.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #10

pcm910
Banned

thanks so much, Also other things have been done but I'll need to jump on the computer for any pictures or whatnot.