GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Sound and Security

How Useful is a Capacitor?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

DevilDriver

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=4]How Useful is a Capacitor?[/drupal]

Quote:
we've all heard of the case where someone just installed a sub/amp combo that does 500 watts and their headlights and interior lights are dimming when the bass hits. supposedly, the miracle fix is a 1 farad capacitor which suddenly stops this from occurring. i'll start off by saying a little background info about capacitors. capacitors are constructed by separating two or more conductors called plates with an insulator called a dielectric. if an AC signal is applied to a capacitor's plates, the current will flow through the capacitor. what actually happens is that if an AC signal is applied to the plates, the capacitor will charge one way (hence current flows), then when the AC signal reverses direction the capacitor discharges and then charges in that direction. this makes it appear that the AC current is flowing through the capacitor. a DC voltage connected to the same plates will not pass through the dielectric, and no direct current will flow through. therefore, this capacitor will accomplish a few things: it will block most DC current (accessory noise suppresion), and it will store an electrical charge that can be used later. please note: a capacitor does not create any current. any dimming or voltage drops are caused by a lack of current.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #2

getonerd

they not useful u should do the big 3 then upgrade the alt

Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

sdime98
shitbox98.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

paint toad
Senior Whore

i still run caps.....but i have other reasons

Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

actafool4187
Senior Whore

i am running a cap, only because it came with the system i got (used.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.