GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Sound and Security

Future Plans

Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

Onimun
Senior Whore

Hey gang,

Sometime in the near future i plan on upgrading my 2002 Blazers stock audio equipment. I have a couple questions i wanted to run past you guys to make sure there wont be any problems.

The plans are:

Headunit: Pioneer DVD indash Unit
Front doors: Infinity Components, 6.5inch
Rear Sub amp: Kicker L7 12" Single sub at 1000W, 1000W Amp of somekind.

#1 Will i need a new higher amp alternator with this setup?
#2 I plan on doing the Big 3 upgrade later on but other then that is there any specific wiring upgrade that needs to be performed?
#3 Anyone recomend a good inexpencive amp to power the L7?
#4 Anyone have any good boxes for a 4 door blazer?

Thanks!

How can anyone compete with oni and the chick pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #2

paint toad
Senior Whore

1. i would plan on a h/o alternator in the very near future.

2. i would plan on running the largest wire you can to your amp/amps.

3. i am not a fan of inexpensive amps but hifonics or kicker come to mind.

4. the box should be designed and built to your individual needs.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:51 AM   #3

Onimun
Senior Whore

So the stock alt is not strong enough for 1000 wats? How about 500 or so?

I will run good wire

I like the idea of Remote bass control so Kicker it may be

Ill probally build my own box.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #4

juddspaintballs
Sound and Security Only

hifonics amps have remote bass control too. i have mine hooked up and i never use it...bass boost is just a source of distortion.

the bxi 1206d comes to mind as a good "1000w" amp.

you do need a HO alt for 1000w. 500w and you'll be safe with a stock 4.3 alt, but for 1000w, you will want to upgrade as soon as possible.

and yes, you need a custom box for every different setup according to the vehicle and subwoofer and power.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

Mr. Blue

| '97 Noma Bagged DD | '98 S-10 4.3l Static 5/5 |
Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #6

MeltingPlastic
Broken Handed Superman

Why the L7? i've never liked their sound output and you may be disapointed if you want SQL. They are loud but sloppy

Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #7

juddspaintballs
Sound and Security Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
Why the L7?
I gave up questioning people's choices a long time ago. They rarely change and often quit listening to good advice if you question their choices. I'd rather help them make the best sound out of a piece of junk than turn them off completely to good advice. Eventually they might figure out they don't like what they chose and then ask for recommendations and actually listen if you didn't insult them up front.

Some people, however, deserve an insult from the beginning

Onimum's choice isn't the worst in the world, but it could be improved on for the same amount of money. I'm willing to help those seeking help and set misinformation straight. I'm starting to be a little nicer in my old age I guess

Old 05-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #8

paint toad
Senior Whore

i like that post jed...you are correct sir!

i've never been a fan of kicker personally...but i should not be rude due to misinformmed posters

Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #9

MeltingPlastic
Broken Handed Superman

i agree jud, the only reason i ask is due to the fact that many people i know who base their system around an l7 don't like them in the end for the reasons i mentioned. If ominium wants to use it i agree and finding the right setup for his choice would be the correct thing to do, but i just like to know why a person chose a particular component. but i would like to help a person save money in the end.. if he chooses not to listen to me, that is his choice and i wont lose a wink of sleep but like others i like to help as much as i can in S&S sections

Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #10

juddspaintballs
Sound and Security Only

that's fine mike, you were fine in asking. the attitude on this forum seems to be pretty good so far from what i can tell. i was just merely making the observation that i've grown weary of asking people "why did you choose that" when they've already picked out a component.

if Mr. Sparkle ever returns to this thread we'll see if he really wants that subwoofer or if he's open to other suggestions as well. in the mean time, i'm looking for some fun flash game to play. any suggestions?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #11

MeltingPlastic
Broken Handed Superman

lol sorry not a gamer, but yea i guess i should try to "turn a new leaf" and not cram my suggestions down peoples throats lol

Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 AM   #12

Onimun
Senior Whore

Well hey if you guys can recomend a better single sub setup without breaking the bank, feel free to suggest it. Im a complete noob when it comes to subs and shit.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:53 AM   #13

juddspaintballs
Sound and Security Only

hard to go wrong with an alpine type R for the price

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 AM   #14

danssoslow

For amps, may I suggest the Cerwin Vega EXL line. They were made by the same person that designed the Zapco Reference line and the Arc KAR line. They also happen to use the exact same boards as their Zapco and Arc counterparts. Cheap as can be on eBay right now, and I suggest watching everyday for new ones to pop up, as most people are only listing one at a time, and the prices from one to the next can change by $10-20 for every auction.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #15

Onimun
Senior Whore

What is everyone using for H/O Alts? I hear a suburban's alt will work. remember I will just be running 1 1,000W L7 Sub.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 AM   #16

sonomanator
Senior Whore

in my 4.3 sonoma i had a 1600 watt kenwood amp and blew my alternator in less than a week went to auto zone and asked what was the best one they had and bought it and never had any problems. i think it was just a duralast brand.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #17

Heathd
PedoBear Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomanator View Post
in my 4.3 sonoma i had a 1600 watt kenwood amp and blew my alternator in less than a week went to auto zone and asked what was the best one they had and bought it and never had any problems. i think it was just a duralast brand.
Uhm, 1600 watts RMS? or Max? Im willing to bet max, not rms, and I also doubt that it put enough of a strain on your alt to cause it to give. I had 2 Viair 480s and a 500 watt rms amp pulling on my stock alt for 2 years before it took a dump, and Im sure it went from age not abuse. And Duralast is shit. Almost all the stuff being sold out of autozone is pure crap, that is to say, remanufactured by a 4 year old in china. The only good think about their housebrands is that they have a lifetime warranty. The bad thing abotu their stuff is that you WILL be using that lifetime warranty.

You will be surprised what a stock alternator can do when you simply upgrade the big 3. Im not going to try and dig through the crap in here to see what has been said previously. I would reccomend you upgrade the big three and get yourself a good battery. Then, if your having charging problems, get the HO alternator. But I really dont think your going to need it if your pulling 1000w nominal.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #18

D Nizzle

I would suggest a anything JL audio... I have 3 12 w6's and will never get anything else... JL AUDIO ALL THE WAY. Oh by the way... Try DB electric for a good alternator.. I just bought a 200 amp and can't wait to put it in along with all my sound....

Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #19

sonomanator
Senior Whore

1600 max idk what to tell u thats what happened i didn't have a cap or anything and i know duralast stuff sucks but it worked still does but i think i got a alt for a fullsize.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #20

Heathd
PedoBear Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomanator View Post
1600 max idk what to tell u thats what happened i didn't have a cap or anything and i know duralast stuff sucks but it worked still does but i think i got a alt for a fullsize.
A cap would have done more bad then good. Regardless of what people think about them, they are only another kink in your electrical supply. You would have to assume 100% effeciency, and in the real world, that doesnt happen.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #21

Onimun
Senior Whore

Thanks for the Info guys, I really appreciate it:

I ordered my Hu a few nights ago, should be here soon. Next I plan to get some New dash speakers and Components for the front doors. Anybody recomend components that will fit behind the stock door pannel w/o any Modification? I already know I will have to cut for the tweeter.

I have had good experience with Duralast Battery's.

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:06 AM   #22

tspears

jl audio 12w6. awesome subs i'm running 6 of them in my blazer right now. and its awesome the quality of sound they put out.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 AM   #23

Onimun
Senior Whore

Im just looking for one large sub. 15" maybe.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #24

Heathd
PedoBear Mentor

Look into Fi or Dayton. I like the Dayton HO's, the Titanic MK III are pretty nice too from what I understand also. Judd is a good guy to talk to about Dayton Audio products.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #25

Steve
...............\_(ツ)_/

Any updates on this beast yet?