GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Suspension Tech > Static Drop

lowering an obs yukon

Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

wht98yukon

i will be lowering my truck 2/2. 2 inch coils and shackles. was wondering whats easiest way to do coils with normal hand tools. i dont have much in the garage. and whats involved with shackles. is it just bolts or what. Thanks. Here is pic of my truck. oh and its 2wd too

Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #2

98SS
Suspension Advisor

I'm not 100% sure, but on the rear, you might have to remove the old hangers that are riveted to the frame. Often done by grinding/cutting a slot in the rivet and then using an air chisel to bust the rivet from the frame (if indeed they are riveted).

On the coils, you should be able to jack the truck up on a front corner and secure it with jack stands and wheel chocks. Remove the wheel and put a jack under the control arm. Jack it up until you have it just touching the bottom of the control arm, but not pushing the truck up off of the stand(s). Remove the bolts that mount the control arm to the frame and SLOWLY let the jack down and relieve the compression on the spring. You should be able to remove the spring once it's low enough, and replace it with a drop spring. Then, do everything in reverse order, starting with jacking the arm up while making sure the new spring is seated properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #3

wht98yukon

thanks, and their not hangers, their shackles. just saw the shackles are bolted, so i guess i will just do lots of lubing before i break them free. thanks though. and coils sound pretty easy then, i thought there was more to it

Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #4

98SS
Suspension Advisor

Well, I mentioned the hangers because some models I think you have to remove the hanger and replace it. If yours is shackles only, then, yeah, just bolts.

Also, I forgot about the shocks up front. You'll have to unbolt them and remove them to get the spring out, I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

wht98yukon

tru thanks man, i think my friend at his job is gonna do cuz access to a lift is better then 35 degree temps in my driveway lol

Old 11-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #6

98SS
Suspension Advisor

I agree with you there. When I dropped my S10 in the rear I did it on the ground. When I bagged it, we used the lift. I know exactly how fortunate I was to have access to the lift. Highly recommend using one if you have access.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #7

wht98yukon

thanks man, i appreciate it. im prob gonna end up having a friend do it at his shop. its to cold outside to do it. 36 degrees isnt the type of weather for me to lay in driveway lol. plus he has the air tools lol. but i def appreciate the info.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #8

wht98yukon

well i kinda lazied out, but here is pics of it lowered 2/2

Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 AM   #9

wht98yukon

tires are 255/60/15 all around eagle gt 2

Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Steve
...............\_(ツ)_/

Cool.