GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Forced Induction

Prolong the life of your Turbo.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

Diesel
Diesel Addicted TL

A problem often overlooked by first time owners of turbocharged vehicles is not letting the turbo properly cool down after being ran hard or for long periods of time. After shutting off the vehicle the turbo is still incredibly hot and the turbo no longer has oil circulating through it, this can cause the oil to cook and become hard leaving small deposits in side of the turbo which will eventually cause premature bearing failure. The simple solution is to let the engine idle for a few minutes after being ran hard allowing the temperature to come down to a level that will not cause damage. If you dont feel like waiting around there are many commercially available turbo timers on the market that will allow you to leave the vehicle idling for a predetermined amount of time with out worry of some one taking off with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #2

Ti28
Banned

nice info, i totaly over looked that. haha its just a second nature to me anymore.

drunk typing sucks!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #3

Primerdime
Senior Whore

ROFL, yeah my buddy's skyline has a timer on it. He'll get out of his car somewhere, and people ALWAYS tell him "uh buddy, your car's still on". PIsses him off

Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #4

HAWK
Administrator

happens to me all the time with my subaru too.....

they say with the engineering that goes into turbo design these days that a timer is not needed, but i still dont trust it and i have mine set for 1 minute after any drive.... better safe then sorry right?

everyone looks at me all weird when i get out and lock it and the cars still running.. hah