GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Fab Shop

Welding/Fabricating Questions? Ask here!!

Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

lincolnmetal
8 lug thug

Do you have any questions on welding or fabricating including machining and engineering? Ask here and there's a good chance you will get the answer!

2004.5 CCSB 4wd LLY Duramax Diesel 17,500 lb recon winch, aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator plugged internally, spectre filter, airbox mod, Edge CTS w/lockpick reverse cam, PPE SS Tie Rod Sleeves, 17x9 procomp 7031's w/33.5x12x17 super swamper m16's

mig...tig...stick...any questions
lincolnmetal's welding learning center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #2

Spooker_Doodles

This thread looked lonely.

When can you quench the weld in cold water and in what situations would you want to let it air cool instead of being quenched?

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #3

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

I'm no fabricator, but just what I remember from science class, I would think that drowning any hot metal into water would make the metal brittle because you're cooling it to fast. That's just my assumption though. I know that the contracted welders that come down to weld on things onboard a Navy ship are some of the top welders around and everything they do is just aircooled, a lot of which has to withstand extreme pressures and meet very tight standards.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:00 AM   #4

Spooker_Doodles

Is it possible to weld cast iron?

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 AM   #5

Jason
Admin Team

Guidelines for Welding Cast Iron | Lincoln Electric

Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #6

lincolnmetal
8 lug thug

cooling just welded metal depends solely on the material being welded. For example, stainless steel when welded can have the carbon precipitate out (only in the Heat Affected Zone or HAZ) after the heating. This is called embrittlement, the way to counteract this is to immediately quench the part being welded. This can also happen to carbon steel! Now the other side, if you quench aluminum after being welded, the weld or material around the weld (HAZ) will crack, this is due to the excellent heat transfer properties of aluminum and its relatively high coefficient of expansion.

as for cast iron...I have tig welded it. I welded steel brackets to cast iron EXP junction boxes a few times. The key is to pre heat the cast iron, and if its a big weld, post heat as well. I used a carbon steel filler rod for this. I have not really looked into cast iron structural welding too much. But I know that there are consumables available and also that the pre/post heating is very much an integral part in having a sound weld.

2004.5 CCSB 4wd LLY Duramax Diesel 17,500 lb recon winch, aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator plugged internally, spectre filter, airbox mod, Edge CTS w/lockpick reverse cam, PPE SS Tie Rod Sleeves, 17x9 procomp 7031's w/33.5x12x17 super swamper m16's

mig...tig...stick...any questions
lincolnmetal's welding learning center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.