GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Suspension Tech > Static Drop

Suggestions On 03 Tahoe Drop kits!!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

1fast4by

Got an 03 2wd Tahoe Im looking to lower it SOON.

Here's the thing though, I need it to ride like factory if possible.
The truck will see tow duty every once in a while, but never anything large maybe 2000-2500lbs.

I'd love to go 3/5 but again, I want it to ride well.

Let me have some suggestions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #2

minitrucker6669
Senior Whore

bags

Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

1fast4by

It will be static, and is a daily driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #4

Jake
Yo Mammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitrucker6669 View Post
bags
He has enough room for his groceries in the cargo area.

Have you looked into any full kit's from DJM or Beltech? I always saw kit's in summit going for a decent amount, as well as eBay, but it's hit or miss when buying parts on eBay.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

You are going to run into problems trying to achieve that much drop and not change the ride quality. About the only way to not change the ride would be to not do anything to the springs. You would have to do a flip kit on the axle to get it above the spring, since it now sits below it, and probably some shackles. I'm not sure that there is enough clearance under the frame for that much drop without notching the frame though. I say that because I had a friend with a Silverado that was dropped either 5 or 6 inches in the back and he had to notch it to make room for the axle to not hit it. For the front, you could just change the spindle...I think Belltech makes a 3" drop spindle.

Regardless of all of this, even if you get it lowered without messing with the springs, you will still have a lower center of gravity and will have to change out the shocks to shorter units. All of that will effect the handling or ride in some way. A big difference will come if you run a big wheel with a small tire after you drop it. The less sidewall you have on your rubber the more you are going to feel ever bump in the road.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #6

1fast4by

Its got torsion bars and coil springs...
Truck has 100k on it, of course Im going to change the shocks too

I wouldnt be opposed to a 3/3 if I could get a decent riding spring in the back and a spindle.. I havent found spindles yet though, just torsion keys... Id rather not change the keys however.. dont want it slammed anyways, just a good drop.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #7

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

Well...in that case, I'm useless. Lol. I have no experience with keys.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 AM   #8

Alex33

I did a 2/3 drop w/ keys/coils and shock relocators on my Yukon and it was great. Rode like stock and was just enough lower to notice. I'd recommend a 2/3 kit from DJM, McGaughey, etc. As far as the spindles go, I'm not aware of one for our trucks. A lot of guys went with the DJM LCAs a few years ago because you got the 3" drop up front w/o "messing up your steering geometry." I'm not sure about the accuracy of that claim tho.

Last edited by Alex33; 10-20-2010 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

STEN_(d_slammd_1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Relentless View Post
You are going to run into problems trying to achieve that much drop and not change the ride quality. About the only way to not change the ride would be to not do anything to the springs. You would have to do a flip kit on the axle to get it above the spring, since it now sits below it, and probably some shackles. I'm not sure that there is enough clearance under the frame for that much drop without notching the frame though. I say that because I had a friend with a Silverado that was dropped either 5 or 6 inches in the back and he had to notch it to make room for the axle to not hit it. For the front, you could just change the spindle...I think Belltech makes a 3" drop spindle.

Regardless of all of this, even if you get it lowered without messing with the springs, you will still have a lower center of gravity and will have to change out the shocks to shorter units. All of that will effect the handling or ride in some way. A big difference will come if you run a big wheel with a small tire after you drop it. The less sidewall you have on your rubber the more you are going to feel ever bump in the road.
01+ Tahoes don't have leafs. They have coils in the rear. In the front you can go with keys, LCA's or spindles.

For a 3/5 I would go with the DJM Arms for the front, DJM Trailblazer (YES trailblazer) 4" springs w/ the DJM hardware kit in the rear. The 4" TB springs will give a 5-5.5" drop and they ride better than the Tahoe 5" spring. Don't forget to cut the bump stop brackets off and I would also recommend helper springs like these...
Air Lift 60769 - Air Lift 1000 Load Assist Rear Spring Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
They install inside the rear springs and will definitely help with towing

I am not sure if Tony (NORCAL SS) is on this site or not but he gets damn good prices on DJM and Belltech products. He will be able to answer any questions you have. Give him a call at 415 519 2432 or email at norcalss06@aol.com

Old 10-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #10

1fast4by

McGaughey makes a 2" spindle/spring 2/3 kit. Thats the one I have decided to go with.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #11

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEN_(d_slammd_1) View Post
01+ Tahoes don't have leafs. They have coils in the rear. In the front you can go with keys, LCA's or spindles.

For a 3/5 I would go with the DJM Arms for the front, DJM Trailblazer (YES trailblazer) 4" springs w/ the DJM hardware kit in the rear. The 4" TB springs will give a 5-5.5" drop and they ride better than the Tahoe 5" spring. Don't forget to cut the bump stop brackets off and I would also recommend helper springs like these...
Air Lift 60769 - Air Lift 1000 Load Assist Rear Spring Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
They install inside the rear springs and will definitely help with towing

I am not sure if Tony (NORCAL SS) is on this site or not but he gets damn good prices on DJM and Belltech products. He will be able to answer any questions you have. Give him a call at 415 519 2432 or email at norcalss06@aol.com
Yes...yes...I got it...I suck.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #12

STEN_(d_slammd_1)

lol

Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #13

Alex33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast4by View Post
McGaughey makes a 2" spindle/spring 2/3 kit. Thats the one I have decided to go with.
Sounds good!! Let us know how it rides.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

relaxednoma
#redrum

older thread, but any updates to this?

Love to know the turnout