GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Sound and Security

Opinions on a H/U requested

Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

What are your guys experience with or your opinions of the Kenwood KDC-HD454U?
Kenwood KDC-HD545U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I might end up putting my DNX-6160 into my wife's truck so I'm thinking about getting it this one for mine. It seems solid enough with 6-channel pre-amp outputs and a built in HD tuner. The only downside with me really is that it doesn't come with Bluetooth, I have to buy that module seperately.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

actafool4187
Senior Whore

idk about that specific model, but my buddy had a few kenwood units catch on fire in his dash installed before

Old 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

Lol, catch fire? I have never heard of that with a Kenwood...I have with the Sony xplods, but not with Kenwood. I had a Kenwood in my S10 for about 4 or 5 years before I sold my S10 and I never had a single problem with it. I also absolutely love my DNX-6160.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

Jake
Yo Mammy

I personally never cared for Kenwood head units, they interface to me was never user friendly. I'm biased to Pioneer head units, and think they are the way to go.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

montec
Admin Team

I like pioneer units but I just don't like the new look personally. I run a kenwood excelon in my Monte with no issues. Run JVC in my '94 and in the wife's '97 GA, soon that will be going in her new '95 blazer.

1995 Blazer 4Dr 4X4(FOR SALE)
2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Independent AmsOil Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #6

SleeperSS

I installed that very HU last weekend...I like it a lot. HD is great, and there is the option for bluetooth. I bought mine from Crutchfield and it came with everything needed...then some. I also went with the Infinity speakers, door and dash. The worst part was getting all of the lower dash trim pieces off....after that the install took about 15 minutes. For $140 it's pretty complete.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #7

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

The install in my Silverado is simple. I pop off the bezel, unscrew three screws that hold the radio in, and unplug it. The only part I don't like about it is that it's not Bluetooth ready. I have become very fond of the Bluetooth on the 6160. Do you have any real complaints about it?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #8

MoStyles
HDPT

I've had problems with all my Kenwoods. I keep buying them though, don't ask me why. lol
I think when i get around to replacing it I'm going to try Clarion, Alpine or maybe a Pioneer. Everyone I know with a Pioneer has had issues with the display and the lights taking a shit on them though. Decisions decisions.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 AM   #9

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

I don't get it, I have had nothing but good luck with my Kenwoods. I have always heard that Clarion was good, but I have no experience with them, same for Alpine. Pioneer I used to love in the late 90s, but I started to have a problem with how they looked when they started with those champagne colored radios.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #10

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

I hadn't even thought about Clarion, but after it was mentioned above, I went and checked them out. I think I changed my mind to getting the Clarion CZ-500.
Clarion CZ500 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It gives me all of the same features as the Kenwood, plus I get Bluetooth. Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #11

MoStyles
HDPT

I've heard good stuff about Clarions, and I've had a couple friends who had higher end Alpines that were really nice. I had a couple JVC's back in the day that were decent but lacked options, as for the Kenwoods i've owned all of them had problems down line with the face to radio contacts taking shits.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

DigitalSoCal
Senior Whore

Good choice.. Clarion is the way to go IMO, although I've only had their "ProAudio" headunits

Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #13

montec
Admin Team

If you all were closer I'd hook you all up @ wholesale.

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #14

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

How's that? You can't hook a brother up from long distance? Lol.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #15

montec
Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Relentless View Post
How's that? You can't hook a brother up from long distance? Lol.
I've got 4 wholesale accounts with different distributors for car A/V. The nice thing about having a business name. I had another dist that also was in the cities but they closed there doors so I had to scramble and had to get on with 4 new distributors to maintain all the lines I had. I'll have to check but maybe able to drop ship from one or two of them. will double check as I'm not sure all the products they have yet. This all happened within the last month or so.

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #16

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

Don't go out of your way man. At least if I order from Crutchfield, they will send me the wiring harness and kit too. The wiring harness that I've looked at for my truck before was more than half the price of that radio.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #17

montec
Admin Team

Quote:
Don't go out of your way man. At least if I order from Crutchfield, they will send me the wiring harness and kit too. The wiring harness that I've looked at for my truck before was more than half the price of that radio.
Naw, I'll look tonight when I get a chance. Wireing harnesses are dirt cheap depending on vehicle seen some that were $40+ but most I've done are under $10 for a harness and $10 for the install kit for the radio plastic. I use Metra products. If your's has the door chimes and crap thru your radio then yeah they will get spendy. But if not you should be good.

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #18

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

That's why I brought it up. Sometime around 2000, GM started putting their driver alert hardware, like the door open chime, in their radios. When I installed my 6160 the harness that came with it had that stupid box and stuff I had to mount.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #19

montec
Admin Team

Quote:
That's why I brought it up. Sometime around 2000, GM started putting their driver alert hardware, like the door open chime, in their radios. When I installed my 6160 the harness that came with it had that stupid box and stuff I had to mount.
I've seen it done without that box. Depends on weather or not you want that in there. I myself say you should but I've seen people do without without any issues.(I didnt do there installs only sold them what they wanted)

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #20

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

I would prefer to have the box.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #21

MoStyles
HDPT

I prefer box as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #22

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #23

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

For the future reference of anyone that might look at this thread while looking for a new H/U...the Bluetooth on the Clarion CZ500 sucks. Most people say they are barely able to hear me when I'm talking on it. It also doesn't auto-connect to my phone when the H/U turns on like other units I've owned or seen in use. I have to turn the Bluetooth on my phone off and then turn it back on while the H/U is on in order for them to connect.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #24

montec
Admin Team

I haven't run clarions but I can get them but after issues with there autostarts I'm unsure about them. I do know the kenwoods pick up the radio txt thats sent out although my JVC's I have do not.

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #25

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

The Bluetooth that is on the Kenwood DNX6160 is awesome...clear as if the person using it is talking directly into their phone. That's the result from both of my vehicles that it has been in. The Clarion mic is mounted in the same spot and it sucks at its job.