GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Wheels / Tires / Brakes

Brake Pads Cracking/Separating

Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

CyberDemon2004

I have a 2004 K1500 Crew Cab Silverado with the Z71 package and 4 wheel disc brakes. I got the truck about two years ago, and since then, I've had to replace the front pads twice. I've replaced them because they are cracking and splitting.

The wear across the pads in both directions seem to be good, fairly smooth. However, after about a year, the braking material starts to separate from the backing plate or splits parallel to the backing plate. After that starts, the brakes start squealing loudly at all speeds (even at 80 mph). Is this normal? Any idea what is causing this?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #2

Onimun
Senior Whore

Was this on the same pads both times?
Flushed the fluid lately?
Replaced or resurfaced rotors when the pads were changed?
Even brake wear/ problems? ( happening on all wheels or both wheels?)

How can anyone compete with oni and the chick pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #3

CyberDemon2004

No, it was a different model both times. I do not know if it was a different make as the first pads to fail were on the truck when I bought it. I've gone with ceramic pads this time, so I'll see next Spring if that helps. The wear has been even on all four front pads, so I have not bothered with the fluid or resurfacing the rotors. Also, I am not having issues with warped rotors or sticking calipers. The truck brakes great other than the noise that occurs.

I have to ask, how could the fluid be a cause of this?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #4

montec
Admin Team

I have to ask are they Napa Pads? If so thats the culprit.

I would say get raybestos PG or ceramics, however the ceramics from them have a big tendency to warp rotors. Thats All I run and have had great luck with them. Heck after 9yrs I still have the same pads(PG) on the front of my '83. Like I said the ceramics have a tendency to eat rotors, now on rotor set #3 and pad set #2 on the Grand Am. However This last set I got Advance Tech series ceramics with matching rotors and pad and so far has been great.

As for the fluid, I've never flushed just bleed out a lil extra when I did my brake work. As long as the system is sealed and the color is clear your usually good.

1995 Blazer 4Dr 4X4(FOR SALE)
2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Independent AmsOil Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #5

CyberDemon2004

No, they are not Napa pads. I do not know what the original pads were, but I was on a budget at the time, so I replaced them with Wearever Silver pads, and hated them. I've replaced the Silvers with the Weaver Ceramic pads (I wasn't paying attention apparently). Pictures are below. If you need a higher resolution image, just click on it.

Original pads

More images:
http://crapnet.kicks-ass.net/images/...-53-25_143.jpg
http://crapnet.kicks-ass.net/images/...-53-36_381.jpg

Wearever Silver

More images:
http://crapnet.kicks-ass.net/images/...-40-27_742.jpg
http://crapnet.kicks-ass.net/images/...-40-34_640.jpg
http://crapnet.kicks-ass.net/images/...-44-30_140.jpg

Last edited by CyberDemon2004; 04-19-2011 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Readability, product name, I'm an idiot.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #6

montec
Admin Team

They are definitely getting hot.
I myself have never used wearever(I think Oreilly's brand).

The pad's wear looks good. But looks to be a manufacture defect. And based on this I wouldn't recommend them to any of my customers or friends, I know Oreilly says they are the same or better then raybestos.

If these done pan out for ya, check rockauto.com and order a set of raybestos. Unless you have a local parts store that has them on hand.

Also when you put on new pads make sure you put on some hi-tack or use the lube they send with the pads. That usually helps with squealing.

Also do you do alot of intown driving with stop and go traffic? If so the constant braking and low speeds will not allow the pads to cool down and could be the cause of the separation also.

1995 Blazer 4Dr 4X4(FOR SALE)
2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Independent AmsOil Dealer

Old 04-20-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

The Master
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What the images show is usually caused by incorrect flexing of the pad due to a sticking caliper. The piston bends the backplate causing the friction material to crack. If this occurs it is important to service the caliper and replace the pads. It can be caused by overheating as well. This is usually caused by one of the following or a combination of a few listed.

1. A caliper that is not releasing - this is usually caused by corrosion between the piston and caliper assembly.
2. Riding the brakes.
3. A hydraulic issue that is keeping pressure in the system
4. Several panic stops done close together
5. Overloading of vehicle and braking.

You may want to check the rotor. It should be looking a bit toasty with some blueish or purple hot spots...maybe even warped. I would recommend refacing the rotor or replacing it if it is badly burnt.

Fluid levels need to be checked and make sure that the fluid looks good. Old fluid can break down causing lower pressures in the lines. Dirty fluid can cause clogging in the lines and the calipers not fully engaging or releasing.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...
Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #8

Onimun
Senior Whore

I was going to say Sticking Caliper also.

Flush the brake fluid.

How can anyone compete with oni and the chick pic.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #9

CyberDemon2004

Sorry I've taken so long to respond.

@montec: I always use Brake Quiet when I put pads on a vehicle, and I apply plenty of it. Using Brake Quiet, the only squealing I get is from the wear indicators or cracking pads.

I sometimes drive in traffic, but nothing to bad, and I try to avoid short/quick stops. Also, riding the brakes is out of the question. As for discoloration on the rotors, I don't remember seeing any.

I may be overloading the brakes. When I replaced the brake pads, I went to the autoparts store and got the pads that were listed as being for the Crew Cab models, but found that they were to big. When I went back, I got the non-Crew Cab pads, which fit. It appears my truck is supposed to have larger front rotors and/or calipers. However, the larger rotors may only be used on the front in 2 wheel disc setups. Does anyone know if the 4 wheel disc setup uses the standard front brakes?

I don't believe I am having a sticking caliper problem, but am not positive. As I understand it, if your caliper is sticking, you will have trouble sliding the caliper off of the pads. However, I have no issues at all sliding the caliper off. It holds the pads close to the rotor, but is not actually pinching them onto the rotor. Of course, after pulling the rotors off, I have to use a C-clamp to push the pistons back so that it will fit over the new pads. Doing one piston at a time, the other piston does not push out. This tells me that fluid flows back to the reservoir as it is suppose to.

So, this leaves me with cheap pads and/or small brakes?