GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > General Lounge > Member Projects and Rides

Project: **** it

Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

SHROP

That's the theme of my new build, **** it. Why not, its just time, and money, and knowledge and headaches right? It wouldn't be an s10 build without headaches. So here's the plan, take a perfectly good 03 ext cab s10 with 50k miles, full airride, and little interest and make it fun again!
I will be stripping all the airride and selling it. back to a leaf spring/coil truck. The stock 4.3 is getting pulled and will be swapped with a v8, still undecided on weather it will be a vortec swap keeping the 4l60e or if i will go with a carb'd 350 and maybe a 700r4 or similar auto trans. I have more to learn on that subject than i care to admit. lol. Next, the interior will be stripped and i will put back as little as possible, new custom dash because, why not, new bench seat because **** buckets and maybe carpet and really simple new door panels. Going for the rat rod/shop truck feel.

Ill admit ive never done anything like this before. Never, but hey what do i have to lose? I never drive the truck as it sit and i lost interest in it a long time ago. Id like something i can use as a truck if need be, can throw more than one other person in if im grabbing the kids from school ect. I have little to no experience doing motor swaps, so im looking for advice as to which motor trans i should run keeping in mind cost, ease of swap and reliability. annnnnd GO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

Jason
Admin Team

Just start with the suspension work since that will pretty much be straight forward bolt on work that you can do fairly quick if you get all your parts figured out and collected before hand. QA1 I believe has coil overs for the S10 and there are option for aftermarket control arms that will work well with them but I cant remember the name. Then I'd suggest doing the interior work you want to do but only one step at a time so its never a giant mess thats hard to manage and remember where everything goes. I'd save the engine swap for last and not start that project until you have done all your research, figured out which engine you want to use and collected all the parts you know you need except for anything that may need to be figured out once the engine is installed due to variances. You should be able to find a decent 4.8/5.3 for a fair price and use your transmission unless you find a good deal on an engine/tranny combo. Theres a million options though and with the light weight of an S10 any V8 will be fun.

Overall it seems like most projects get abandoned because guys get too far along in disassembling their projects and lose interest because theres so much work left to be done. Thats why I suggest breaking up in to smaller projects so it wont get overwhelming or require too much money/work just to get it drivable.

Are you still at JBLM?

Now post a pic of your truck :tup

Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #3

SHROP

JBLM??

Bought a house in Omaha last year so ive got some time to tear a project up a little now. I totally understand what youre saying, i dont want to get it all apart and forget about it. I was planning on doing the suspension first, then motor, then interior. My interior plans are, remove everything, put a bench seat in, carpet, half ass dash.. i want a stripped down basic interior like the old pickups had back in the 50's. still undecided about ac.
I posted on the s10f a while ago and had a few people tell me dont ditch the airride that leafs will hop, handle like shit and that the bags are still better.. hmm not sure. i really dont "need" the bags, to be honest im kinda over them lol. more work than they are worth imo. But if it will help the handling to just add sway bars, and new shocks then i guess id keep them. I really just dont want the truck to ride like a boat in choppy water.

im leaning towards a 5.7 vortec, reason being, simplicity. I keep my trans, ecu flashed, shorty headers, put it in and add a few wires. seems pretty straight forward. if i go with a carb'd motor it seems more simple in the long run but a lot more work converting everything over to mechanical or rewiring the entire truck. just seems like a pita.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #4

MoStyles
HDPT

Ltnc. Hows the kids and everything?

A far as the leafs go there's measures that can be taken to take care of wheel hop/axle wrap. Cal-Tracs is a great option and there's a few home brewed tricks that can be applied too.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

SHROP

MO! How ya been? All is well in my neck of the woods.

think going back to a leaf spring truck would be a step backwards? Ive got a stout 5 link back there now. I guess i dont mind keeping the airride. without a doubt i will be getting new shocks front and rear. I have no shocks no sway bar up front right now. rides like a boat.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #6

Jason
Admin Team

Doh, I mixed you up with SlammedSTEN, he's in the military around here.

If you have the 5 link just put some coil overs on the rear too.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

SHROP

That crossed my mind but i dont know how much travel they have. Any pics of that kind of setup?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

Jason
Admin Team

here's one setup that appears to fit under the stock bed floor.

is your bed floor cut at all? frame notched? you have the SD 5 link right?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #9

SHROP

here is a pic of my bed as it sets, with slightly more surface rust haha.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

MoStyles
HDPT

Been good man. I second keeping the 4 link and just switching to coil overs.