GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Fab Shop

Welder Cart for the MIG

Old 03-08-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

98SS
Suspension Advisor

I did this a little over a year ago, but with Dan owning this forum so far, I thought it was time for a little mix in the pile, even though it's not as good as his, by any means.

I picked up a little Lincoln 3200HD at HomeDepot for a damn good price after the discounts and promotional offers. I think it does OK for it's size. Welds like a champ on what work I've been doing so far. I opted for the 110V because I live in an apartment complex where we have our own private garage attached to our unit. It only has two 110V twin receptacles, and one of them is in the ceiling, half occupied by the garage door opener. Running a 220V extension cord upstairs to the dryer outlet would be a big hassle and besides, all I have to weld right now is sheet metal anyway. I'll upgrade after I buy a house.

Anyway, I used some 1" angle iron to make a new welder cart. The one that comes with the welder is a piss-poor little thing with a holder for only a small bottle. My bottle is about 2.5 feet tall and 7" diameter. So here's what I did to not only hold the bottle, but get the welder up off the floor a little.

(click thumbnails to enlarge)

After that, I ground down the welds and tacked in a sheet metal support for the bottle. Added a quickie hanger off one side for the cables. The hanger looks like crap, but it was getting late when I added that, and didn't want to wait until the next day to do more grinding (being considerate for the neighbors). Then, gave it a quick coat of spray paint and moved the wheels from the original "cart" to the welder's new home.

Prior to making this, I had the bottle bungee strapped against a desk in the garage (haha) and the welder would only move so far. So, since I made the new cart, I've been able to move it all over the garage as needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #2

lincolnmetal
8 lug thug

Very nice, good protection for the bottle too! I have a 3200hd, first welder I bought, I think for the money its an excellent piece of equipment. I don't know if you have one because I can't see it, but if you don't you should add a piece of chain on "s" hooks to keep the bottle from falling backwards.

2004.5 CCSB 4wd LLY Duramax Diesel 17,500 lb recon winch, aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator plugged internally, spectre filter, airbox mod, Edge CTS w/lockpick reverse cam, PPE SS Tie Rod Sleeves, 17x9 procomp 7031's w/33.5x12x17 super swamper m16's

mig...tig...stick...any questions
lincolnmetal's welding learning center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #3

98SS
Suspension Advisor

Right now it's a bungee cord wrapped around several times. LOL .... It's nice and tight, though, and I've checked it to make sure it's sufficient. I'm planning on either a chain or a piece of flat stock that will swing over and latch. I just haven't gotten to it.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #4

lincolnmetal
8 lug thug

2004.5 CCSB 4wd LLY Duramax Diesel 17,500 lb recon winch, aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator plugged internally, spectre filter, airbox mod, Edge CTS w/lockpick reverse cam, PPE SS Tie Rod Sleeves, 17x9 procomp 7031's w/33.5x12x17 super swamper m16's

mig...tig...stick...any questions
lincolnmetal's welding learning center