GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > General Lounge > OFF-Topic

Homeowner Hobby/Project/Improvement thread.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #51
Send PM    Add to friends

montec
Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Word! I thought about making a PVC tube filled with sand, but I'd want to roll, and not just drag behind. I'm sure it could be done easily, I just don't have the patience. haha
Says the man with a sweet v8 swap blazer.

1995 Blazer 4Dr 4X4(FOR SALE)
2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Independent AmsOil Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #52

montec
Admin Team

Found out whats ruining my lawn.

To dam many night crawlers.

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #53

Jake
Yo Mammy

I have a serious problem with them as well. I have a tons of birds picking them out all the time, but they hardly make a dent.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #54

montec
Admin Team

I came across this in a search and may work. Gonna have to go out and get me some sevin or similar grub control

Questions On Nightcrawlers

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #55

Jason
Admin Team

Quote:
Word! I thought about making a PVC tube filled with sand, but I'd want to roll, and not just drag behind. I'm sure it could be done easily, I just don't have the patience. haha

hmm, I like that idea. Might have to try and make one this weekend. I have an idea for making the roller but I need to find a way to attach it with a clamp setup similar to the factory setup. $90 is a little too much, just to make stripes.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #56

Dr Pepper
Senior Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstategrl View Post
Ohhhh we got lots to put in here lol. I'll do it later.
It's later.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #57

appstategrl
Senior Whore

Ok ok...

Dumb people owned our house before, they were like the most unhandy handy people ever. Did most things wrong so we have to fix what they did or were just too lazy to do.

They cut down 3 pine trees in the back, let the nasty stumps to rot in the ground. We have since cut down another that was leaning toward the house which you can see in the first pic. We yanked out the old stumps, left one and leveled it off for a seat.

They also had those red edging things around the whole freaking house. Well they don't match because we have nice stonework around the bottom. We are still removing some and that should be done within the next couple of weeks. They had a fire pit like wayyyyy far from the house with chunks of concrete, river rocks, and limestone rocks. Looked like ish. Sooooo we took that apart and moved it closer to the deck for more fun. You can see the old hole wayyy out in the yard in the second pic. Went to the beach at my mamaw's and got more river rocks and found just enough limestones to finish lining my flower bed area.

They also had some ugly black railing that was probably original from when the house was built around the front porch. That's now gone. Also had black astroturf on the porch as well which stayed wet all the time, was nasty, gross, ick... ripped it up too. Just gotta powerspray everything around the house now and rip out those ugly holly bushes and mulching.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #58

Jake
Yo Mammy

Looks good! I hate stumps. Alot.

This project is going to happen after the wedding. This is practically the same floorplan as our house, so we're going to shoot for wood floors, and dark cabinets like these;

Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #59

montec
Admin Team

You buying the current one you live in then?

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #60

bad08hhrss
is climbing in yo window

Quote:
Looks good! I hate stumps. Alot.

This project is going to happen after the wedding. This is practically the same floorplan as our house, so we're going to shoot for wood floors, and dark cabinets like these;
Looks good, you doing real hardwood or a laminate?

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy. -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #61

Jake
Yo Mammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad08hhrss View Post
Looks good, you doing real hardwood or a laminate?
Probably a laminate.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #62

Jason
Admin Team

I figure this is the best place to as lawn mower related questions so, here goes

what do you guys suggest for lawnmower maintenance? Bought the mower last year and haven't done anything to it yet so I figured its probably time to at least change the oil, clean/replace the air filter and sharpen/replace the blade. Anything else I should do? in case it matters its a Toro Personal Pace 20332 (love it).

Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #63

MoStyles
HDPT

Change the oil, replace the filter, sharpen the blade(doubt it will need replacing unless you mow rocks) clean the deck, clean/regap or replace the plug.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #64

montec
Admin Team

Yup mowers have to be the easiest things to maintain.

Also tried out the Arnold Power Rake blade today. Kinda scalped the yard a bit, but it sure did clean up alot of the thatch. Had to move it up one notch to not be so bad. I layed down some weed and feed and watered it tonight, will water again tomorrow as soon as I find a new sprinkler.

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #65

Jason
Admin Team

well I guess I'll check everything out tomorrow after work then. I know I've seen a few nicks in the blade but hopefully those can be removed with a good sharpening. I assume I can just use my bench grinder to take care of that, am I right?

and now a rototiller question.

my back yard looks like a damn dirt bike track due to a 80+ lb German Shepard running laps for the last 6+ years and I cant seem to get rid of the trails she's run into the ground. I think I'm going to have to run a rototiller through the whole yard. The ground here is very soft and has literally no rocks so I think its going to be easy enough I'll just do it myself but I don't know what size tiller I should get. I think I measured it out last year and if my memory is correct, there's about 2300 sqft of grass that needs to be tilled. Can anyone recommend what to use?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #66

Jason
Admin Team

nevermind, I found a retired guy on craigslist that's going to till the whole yard for 100 bucks

Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #67

montec
Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
well I guess I'll check everything out tomorrow after work then. I know I've seen a few nicks in the blade but hopefully those can be removed with a good sharpening. I assume I can just use my bench grinder to take care of that, am I right?
I use a std 4 or 4.5" angle grinder that I picked up long ago. I use the flap sanders if minimal nicks and use the grinding stone if there is many. It's what I've used for years and how I learned to sharpen blades. I know many will say its not right but it works for me.

2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #68

Jake
Yo Mammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoStyles View Post
Change the oil, replace the filter, sharpen the blade(doubt it will need replacing unless you mow rocks) clean the deck, clean/regap or replace the plug.
this.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #69

Jake
Yo Mammy

rain finally stopped, green grass is coming in!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #70

Jason
Admin Team

I'm jelly of your nice lawn Jake. it looks good.

hydroseed or sod, does anyone have a preference? and if so, why?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #71

MoStyles
HDPT

I just do topsoil and 50/50 sun shade seed mix, all that other shits expensive. Sod is nice if you're funds are baller. Hydroseed I don't have much experience with.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #72

Jason
Admin Team

I'm really unsure of what I should do after its tilled. Right now there are a lot of nasty weeds that are going to be ground up so I assume I'm going to have to deal with them while also trying to grow new grass if I use seed, which seems like its going to be a real PITA. I feel like using sod would make it much easier to get a nice law in the near future but yeah, its not cheap. I just don't want to ruin a new lawn with old weeds. I guess I need to go out and re measure the areas and figure exactly how much sod I will need so I can figure out a rough estimate on the cost.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #73

Jake
Yo Mammy

Sod has its advantages, but you have to watch it like a newborn. Seeding I just don't have the patience for. Personally, in yor case I would sod it, and water the piss out of it, because I couldn't stand Looking at dirt, but thats just my personally opinion. Seeding gives you a chance to have it spread nice and full all over, it's just hard to stay consistent.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #74

Jason
Admin Team

thats why I would prefer to figure out the fastest option, I dont want to have a dirt yard any longer than I absolutely have to. BUT, I also dont want to throw down 100's of dollars on sod and have it turn out poorly. I wont even need to bring in top soil because the dirt here is better than anything that I can have hauled in. Its only May so I know we most likely still have plenty of rain to come so I'd like to knock this out while the weather's good and hope for rain to help me along with the growth.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #75

MoStyles
HDPT

How big is your lawn?