Wheel Speed Sensor: Service and Repair
Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement (RWD) Removal Procedure
- Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
- Remove the tire and wheel.
- Remove the brake rotor (2). Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Front.
- Important: The wheel speed sensor mounts to the hub/bearing assembly. Thoroughly clean around this area in order to prevent any dirt or contaminants from entering the sealed wheel bearing. Failure to do this may lead to premature wheel bearing failure.
Remove the Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS) mounting bolt.
- NOTICE: Carefully remove the sensor by pulling it straight out of the bore. DO NOT use a screwdriver, or other device to pry the sensor out of the bore. Prying will cause the sensor body to break off in the bore.
Remove the wheel speed sensor (5) from the hub/bearing assembly (4).
- Remove the WSS cable mounting clip from the knuckle.
- Remove the WSS cable mounting clip from the upper control arm.
- Remove the WSS cable mounting clip from the frame attachment point.
- Remove the WSS cable electrical connector.
- Plug the WSS bore to prevent debris from falling into the hub.
- Using a wire brush or equivalent, clean the WSS mounting surface on the hub to remove any rust or corrosion.
- Apply a thin layer of wheel bearing lubricant, GM P/N 01051344 to the hub surface and the sensor O-ring prior to the sensor installation.
- Install the WSS (5) into the hub/bearing assembly (4).
- Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Install the WSS mounting bolt.
^ Tighten the WSS mounting bolt to 18 Nm (13 ft. lbs.).
- Install the WSS cable mounting clip to the knuckle.
- Install the WSS cable mounting clip to the upper control arm.
- Install the WSS cable mounting clip to the frame attachment point.
- Connect the WSS cable electrical connector.
- Install the brake rotor (2). Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Front.
- Install the tire and wheel.
- Return to Diagnostic Starting Point - Antilock Brake System.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...