GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > General Lounge > GM News and Information

GM says new Volt to get 230 mpg in city driving

Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

The Master
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

General Motors Corp. said Tuesday its Chevrolet Volt rechargeable electric car should get 230 miles per gallon (98 kilometers per liter) of gasoline in city driving, more than four times the current champion, the Toyota Prius.

The Volt is powered by an electric motor and a battery pack with a 40-mile (65-kilometer) range. After that, a small internal combustion engine kicks in to generate electricity for a total range of 300 miles (480 kilometers). The battery pack can be recharged from a standard home outlet.

GM is marketing the 230-mile (370-kilometer) figure

[Source: Yahoo]

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #2

The Master
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

OW DID THEY LEAP SUCH A HUGE MPG FIGURE IN SUCH A SHORT TIME? Oh, I know. They already had and HAVE had it for many years now. It's a joke. It's also why Cap and Trade will work out in the long run for the PTB. The jump in electricity costs will help to replace much of the loss in gas costs. It's a game to these people.

Yes, this is good news that this technology will be released. However, it just pisses me off that they think we are ignorant enough to believe that ALL OF A SUDDEN they can achieve this kind of mileage after bankruptcy and years of saying that this kind of mileage was a decade away.

While most will say that this is a great thing, I say it simply proves that these big business people are criminals to say the least.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Send PM    Add to friends

Merritt
4x4 Member

^Agreed John, this is new to the consumer, but the technology's been there for years for this to be capable. The government takes over GM, and BAM! 230 mpg. Nothing mysterious about that at all....

I was wondering what those junk emails about 230 were that I deleted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #4

Slasher
Senior Whore

it doesnt look that bad either.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #5

xJuice
Senior Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritj2417 View Post
The government takes over GM, and BAM! 230 mpg. Nothing mysterious about that at all...
They were developing the Volt long before the govt. took over.

And with the nature of the car the 230 mpg figure is a little misleading, it won't always get 230. Could get more, could get less. CNN explained it well:
Quote:
So let's say the car is driven 50 miles in a day. For the first 40 miles, no gas is used and during the last 10 miles, 0.2 gallons are used. That's the equivalent of 250 miles per gallon. But, if the driver continues on to 80 miles, total fuel economy would drop to about 100 mpg. And if the driver goes 300 miles, the fuel economy would be just 62.5 mpg.
In my case I'd use $0 in gasoline driving to and from work during the week. Hell even on the weekends I probably don't drive farther than 40 miles. Now of course like John said, I will now be paying to charge the car at night rather than put gas in it. But the way I see it, electricity can come from much cleaner and renewable sources (eg. wind, solar, hydro). Most of it currently doesn't come from those sources which would currently make the car not as earth friendly as it could, but when better energy sources become more prevalent this type of vehicle would have a great impact.

Either way, even if you never charge the thing, running on the electric motors powered by the generator will get you supposedly 50mpg which is still more efficient than current hybrids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The last time I had this much fun, I was driving the banana. Of course, back in my day we called it denting the bacon.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #6

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

**** it, lets all just ride horses or buggies or some shit. The Amish get great mileage out of those things I hear.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #7

98SS
Suspension Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritj2417 View Post
The government takes over GM, and BAM! 230 mpg. Nothing mysterious about that at all....
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post

Yeah, if anyone thinks that was because of the government involvement, it would just be an example of the government fooling someone. But we know that never happens, right?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #8

Wrkn prgs
Senior Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Relentless View Post
**** it, lets all just ride horses or buggies or some shit. The Amish get great mileage out of those things I hear.

Grain and hay isn't cheap.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #9

Merritt
4x4 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I realize this, like said I'm sure they've had the technology for cars to get a lot better fuel economy for years now. I just think it's funny that they wait until now, right after the big bailout or whatever you want to call it to unveil this 230 mpg car.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

Joker Relentless
Senior Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrkn prgs View Post
Grain and hay isn't cheap.
Depends on if you grow it yourself or not.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #11

dimerunner88
Senior Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Relentless View Post
Depends on if you grow it yourself or not.
then you have the expense of land,equipment,labor,and taxes on the land/equipment

Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #12

sonomanator
Senior Whore

**** the buggy get a bike other than the cost of the bike and the flat tire everyonce in a while u are set.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 AM   #13

snoplow

if ur homes roof was covered with solar panels and stored the power so at night u could charge the car and drive around then it would be super cheap. im not sure how that would work, but im sure it could.