GmTruckHQ is the resource on GM Trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim
Home   Forum   Chat   Register   Today's Posts   Search  

GMTruckHQ is the premier GM Truck Site on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Go Back   GmTruckHQ > Tech Discussions > Electrical / Lighting

'07 Avalanche reverse lights staying on

Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
Send PM    Add to friends

RichardHunter

Off an on in the past I have had an issue with my backup lights staying on but it would go away after a couple of cycles through the gears. Now however It has drained my battery twice (when I didn't notice the light) and have gotten a warning ticket to fix the problem cause they stay on and someone reported it to the police that it looked like a truck coming at them in the wrong lane at night. I now have to park where I can see if the lights stay on when parking and when I put it in drive to make sure they go off to prevent battery drain or staying on while driving. I have thought of the neutral safety switch but am not positive that is the problem.... would like some opinions or advice before I make that change.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 AM   #2

montec
Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHunter View Post
Off an on in the past I have had an issue with my backup lights staying on but it would go away after a couple of cycles through the gears. Now however It has drained my battery twice (when I didn't notice the light) and have gotten a warning ticket to fix the problem cause they stay on and someone reported it to the police that it looked like a truck coming at them in the wrong lane at night. I now have to park where I can see if the lights stay on when parking and when I put it in drive to make sure they go off to prevent battery drain or staying on while driving. I have thought of the neutral safety switch but am not positive that is the problem.... would like some opinions or advice before I make that change.
Do you have autostart or keyless entry that flashes the backup lights? I believe you are on the right path looking at the neutral safety switch.

1995 Blazer 4Dr 4X4(FOR SALE)
2002 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy Denali

Independent AmsOil Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

RichardHunter

I do have the remote start. It does work, but does not turn the reverse lights off when they are stuck on (either by remote start or keyless entry). The trick I have to do is cycle through the gears until the lights go out in park or drive (depending on which i'm doing at the time and this is with engine running or off). I have noticed that if I leave it in reverse the lights flicker occasionally.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #4

montec
Admin Team

I'd start with the neutral safety switch replacement.